We understand how dreadful and downright stressful a vehicle breakdown can be. It usually happens unexpectedly and at the worse of times. While we know this isn't a situation you want to find yourself in, being prepared and ready for the situation is the best way that you minimize the stress of the instance and be safe while you figure out what to do next.
Understand the next steps to take when dealing with a car breakdown can help you get out of the situation quickly and get your car repaired and back on the road without too much hassle. Plus, the more you know, the safer you can handle the situation so that you aren't put at even more risk on the road when you break down on the highway or a busy street.
If you find yourself dealing with a car breakdown, remember the following:
- Turn on your emergency lights as soon as you can! This will indicate to other drivers on the road that something is wrong and will allow others to take precaution when driving around your vehicle.
- If you feel your car breaking down, get over to the side of the road in a safe area as soon as possible, and if possible. Sometimes we can feel our car slowly coming to a stop, and this is when you should try to safely get over to the roadside and out of the way of moving traffic.
- As soon as you are on the shoulder of the road and out of harm’s way, turn off your vehicle.
- Call a tow truck or roadside assistance. This will get a professional out to you quickly to assess the situation and get your vehicle off the road if needed.
- If your vehicle stops in the middle of the road and there’s nothing you can do, stay in your vehicle, turn on your hazard lights immediately, and call the police. They will be able to direct traffic away from your vehicle safely to avoid accidents.
- If your vehicle is going to be towed, call us here at Dempster's. You can tow your vehicle right into our shop for an inspection so we can determine which repairs are needed.
Making sure that you are safe in a breakdown situation should be your number one priority. The experts here at Dempster's Quality Car Care are here to help repair your vehicle and get you back on the road driving with a reliable vehicle again!